During this 19th episode of the Simplifynance Podcast, host Rachel Stewart talks with Rebecca Hinton, Special Counsel with Taylor, Porter, Brooks & Phillips in Baton Rouge. Their discussion focuses on considerations when naming minor children as beneficiaries on retirement accounts and life insurance policies.
- It’s common to wonder if naming minors as beneficiaries is a good decision.
- Introduction of special guest, Rebecca Hinton, and description of her specialty in estate and tax planning.
- Having young children is often a driver of important discussions like such as will prep, potential guardians and life insurance
- Biggest importance is protecting the minor...from themselves and others.
- Deciding on WHO will handle the money before age of majority
- What do to TODAY if we need a placeholder before formal estate plan is in place
- A will would include language that lays our rules for use of funds on behalf of the child(ren)
- Is document setup a long and hard process?
- Are laws different in Louisiana vs other states?
1. Work with an estate attorney and your financial advisor to find a custom solution that fits you and your family.
2. In Louisiana, we have forced heirship – children are entitled to a certain percentage of assets when a parent passes away, if under age 24.
4. Although the process is intimidating (and not fun), so many problems can be avoided with proper planning ahead of time.
Check the background of your financial professional on FINRA's Broker Check. Registered Representatives in the Simplifynance program offer securities through Cetera Advisors LLC (CA) a registered broker-dealer, member FINRA, SIPC. Advisory services are offered through Cetera Advisors LLC, an SEC Registered Investment Adviser. CA is under separate ownership from other named entities.
Individuals affiliated with Cetera firms are either Registered Representatives who offer only brokerage services and receive transaction-based compensation(commissions), Investment Adviser Representatives who offer only investment advisory services and receive fees based on assets, or both Registered Representatives and Investment Adviser Representatives, who can offer both types of services.
This site is published for residents of the United States only. Registered Representatives of Cetera Advisors LLC may only conduct business with residents of the states and/or jurisdictions in which they are properly registered. Not all of the products and services referenced on this site may be available in every state and through every representative listed. For additional information please contact the contact the representative(s) listed on the site, visit the Cetera Advisors LLC site at www.ceteraadvisors.com.